The holidays have arrived, and so has the holiday travel season! If you are one of the millions of people planning to travel this year, SpotHero is here to help with these tips to ensure your trip is stress-free!
Automate your To-Dos for a Stress-Free Flight
Holiday flights can be a source of stress for a lot of travelers. Between racing to book the best flight, racing to the airport, and racing to your gate, it’s common for people flying the friendly skies this time of year to feel the pressure! This year, automate a few of your travel to-dos and give yourself the gift of time:
- Services like Google Flights and Hopper can help you figure out the best time to buy your tickets. Set a price alert so that you can book your flight at the best rate. If you’d prefer to do the legwork yourself, according to Expedia, the best day to book airfare is on Sunday.
- Arrange your ride to the airport in advance! Not sure if parking or rideshare is right for you? You can check out SpotHero’s Holiday rideshare calculator.
- If your travel plans are flexible, then consider flying on the holiday itself. Not only are airports less busy, flights are typically less expensive!
Take the Road Less Traveled to Save Time and Money
Depending on your destination, driving may be the best option for you in terms of price, fuel use and travel time. Looking to save while hitting the road? Here are the best ways to have a great drive to your final destination:
- Consider getting off the big highways and interstates, and choosing a more scenic route. While speed limits may be lower, often smaller routes have less traffic on holidays, meaning you won’t actually lose any time! Plus, by driving slower you can actually save this holiday season: According to the U.S. Department of Energy, reducing your speed by just 10 mph can improve fuel economy up to 14%.
- Looking for more ways to cut down on expenses while driving? A carpool is a sure way to save money on fuel and ensure you have a pleasant driving experience with plenty of company! If you’re searching for companions on a long distance trip, check out local community message boards to see if anyone needs a ride. There are even apps you can download to set up a carpool!
- Avoid the hassle of driving around and book a spot in advance. Circling blocks looking for a parking spot can account for as much as 30% of total vehicle miles in some areas of the country, save yourself time and fuel and book through SpotHero, and you may even save money off the garage’s drive-up rate!
Prepare then Sit Back and Relax via Train
If the thought of flying or driving has you on edge this holiday season, consider taking the train to your final destination instead. Train travel is more energy efficient, and may actually be the fastest option depending on your destination! Here are a few tips to take the stress out of your train trip if you’re riding the rails this holiday season:
- One perk of train travel is that you get to sit back and relax, but keep in mind that you may not have the opportunity to grab something you need. Make a list of your travel necessities—and check it twice! Check out SpotHero’s list of road trip essentials that can help take the stress out of your trip.
- Like all methods of transportation during the holidays, hope for the best, but plan for delays due to increased traffic and demand! Wherever you’re heading, allow extra time to get where you’re going and enjoy your ride stress-free.
- Parking and riding? Check the station website for parking information before you head out so you know what to expect. SpotHero is here to help if you need us!
However you are traveling this year, SpotHero is here to help you park with ease. Travel safe, and book parking today!