Stowing a winter emergency kit in your car is one of the most important steps you can take for driving safely in winter. Whether you drive through the country every day or live in a city, an emergency kit could be the difference between life or death – or at least comfort versus discomfort.
Winter car emergency kits are easy to buy online or make yourself. Keep it in an easy-to-reach spot, like your glove compartment or back seat. Avoid putting it in your trunk if you can’t access it from within the car, in case you’re unable to get out.
These kits will help keep you and your family safe in case of an emergency. To protect your car and avoid potential winter-related car accidents, you should also learn how to winterize your car.
The Best Winter Emergency Car Kits Sold Online
- AAA 66-Piece Severe Weather Road Kit
- Why it’s great: Includes a 3-piece fleece set to keep you warm.
- Customers say:
- “Prevented me from buying all the items that I wanted individually, good for emergencies in the car.”
- “A comprehensive kit. Just throw a warm blanket in with it, and you are set!”
- Winter Ready Car Care Emergency Kit
- Why it’s great: The kit is also a backpack, so it’s easy to take with you if you need to leave your car.
- SubZero 36-Piece Compact Winter Emergency Kit
- Why it’s great: If you want to avoid bulk, this kit is perfect for one or two people.
Winter Emergency Car Kit List
If you prefer to create your own winter emergency car kit, make sure to include these essential items:
- Windshield scraper
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Matches or a lighter
- Water bottles/jug
- Snacks that will stay good for a long time, like bars, trail mix, and dried fruit
- First aid kit
- A couple of blankets
- Road salt and tire chains in case you need extra traction
- Booster cable
- Car phone charger
- Reflectors or road flares to make your car more visible
- Battery powered radio
- Extra socks and gloves
- Hand warmers
- A deck of cards to entertain yourselves during a potentially long wait
- Road map, in case your electronics stop working